This groups seeks to bridge the gap between early career and mid-career professionals. Participation in this group gives you access to leadership opportunities, career advice, and connections with experienced professionals to develop your network and advance your career.
Early career members also get access to discounted registration rates to AOCS meetings.
How do I join the group?
To qualify as an early career member, you must have less than 10 years of experience working in the sector.
- Join AOCS if you are not an AOCS member.
- Already an AOCS member? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the group – at no charge.
- During step three of the join process (Make a Bigger Impact), add the Early Career Common Interest Group (EC CIG) to your AOCS membership. Joining the EC CIG is free with active membership.
Events and Initiatives
- Dive into topics presented by our industry experts. We organize webinars throughout the year, as well as sessions during the AOCS Annual Meeting which focus primarily on professional development. If you have ideas for a webinar or session the Early Career CIG should plan, please let us know.
- Network with your Early Career CIG colleagues. We organize Midweek Mixers where you can connect and socialize with colleagues and friends throughout the year. If you have ideas for a Midweek Mixer or would like to host one, complete this form. Any member can host a session!
Resources of Interest
- View a webinar on Career Paths for Young Scientists
- Get your research work featured in Young Scientists to Watch.
- Feel like you are a fraud and that your success is due to “luck”? Learn about Imposter Syndrome.
- Search for jobs on the AOCS Career Center.
- Start a discussion in the Early Career CIG community on inform | connect.
Explore Awards and Travel Grants
AOCS offers awards and travel grants to emerging professionals. Please view each specific award webpage for nomination requirements and deadlines.
- AOCS Young Scientist Research Award (sponsored by International Food Science Centre A/S)
- Health and Nutrition Division New Investigator Researcher Award
- Timothy L. Mounts Award
- Best Paper Awards for journals
- Industrial Oil Products Division Junior Researcher Travel Grant
- Lipid Oxidation and Quality Division Junior Researcher Travel Grant
- Co-Chair: Orayne Mullings, Desmet Ballestra, USA
- Co-Chair: Sarah Moran (née Willett), Kerry, USA
- Newsletter Editor: Jing Zhou, Ingredion, Inc., USA
- Secretary: Hari Kran Kotapati, USDA ARS MAFCL, USA
How to get get involved
Write an article for the Early Career CIG newsletter, volunteer as the communications specialist, plan networking event and/or webinars, and more. These are just a few opportunities to get involved within the group.
Have an idea or activity you feel the group should offer? Please let us know.