Being a part of the Student Common Interest Group (SCIG) leadership team brings you closer to the inner workings of the AOCS community. It is a platform to build your committee and leadership skills. Leadership roles in professional societies, such as AOCS, also prepare students for award opportunities, including these AOCS student awards - an important part of a student's academic career and of scientific societies.
FREE Benefits Include:
- access to INFORM-digital edition
- subscription to INFORM Smartbrief - weekly update of the industry's top news stories
- membership in any of AOCS' 10 Divisions, each one covering a unique technical interest area
- AOCS membership the first year after graduation
Latest Midweek Mixer
Student CIG: Where should you go? Government, academia, or industry? A panel discussion with experts
Where do you see yourself in your future career? As a student what should you do to achieve your future career goals? Lets learn from experts who already went through this path. Have your questions ready for this interactive panel discussion with leading experts from multiple backgrounds an career paths.
Dr. Nandika Bandara (academia), Assistant Professor, University of Manitoba
Ways to Get Involved
Membership in the Student CIG provides numerous opportunities for you to get further involved in AOCS.
The SCIG's direction and activities are completely student led, so we need your help!
- If you would like to contribute to the SCIG's newsletter, contact Ruth Boachie, Han Peng, Kaiwen Sun and Dajun Yu
- To assist in the planning of the SCIG's activities during the AOCS Annual Meeting and throughout the year, contact Thilini Dissanayake and Ivana Penagos
- Equip soon-to-be-graduates with resources to make you a more highly valued prospect for getting a job in industry, academia or government. Contact Daniel Dodoo, Olamide Fadairo, Francisco Leyva Gutierrez and Neethu Pottackal
- Check out the SCIG community page on inform|connect, and start a conversation with your fellow student members!
Have an idea or activity you feel the group should offer? Please let us know!
Student Awards - AOCS hosts many awards which are specifically designed to honor the achievements of our students, and provide them with resources to complete their education. Please review each specific award webpage for application procedures and deadlines.
University Research Programs (.pdf) - Listing of universities with information on their department areas of research and specialization.
Read the March 2022 SCIG newsletter.
Read the September 2021 SCIG newsletter.
Read the March 2021 SCIG Newsletter.
Student CIG Annual Meeting Activities
Each year the Student CIG plans several activities of interest for students during the AOCS Annual Meeting. These often consist of a speed networking event, a networking reception, a mentoring luncheon, and a session covering a topic of unique interest to student members.
Thilini Dissanayake, University of Manitoba, Canada
- Vice Chair:
Ivana Penagos, Ghent University, Belgium
Ruth Boachie, University of Ottawa, Canada
Han Peng, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Kaiwen Sun, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
Eda Kaya, Kansas State University, USA
- Education/Career Development:
Daniel Dodoo, University of Melbourne, Australia
Olamide Fadairo, University of Manitoba, Canada
Gözde Gülseren, University of Florida, USA
Neethu Pottackal, Rice University, USA
Ipek Bayram, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
Maddy Fomich, University of Tennessee, USA
Andrea García Guzmán, La Salle University, Mexico
Kunal Kadiya, University of Saskatchewan, Canada