101st Annual Meeting
| Hot Topics
| Keynote Address
| Schedule of Events
| Short Courses
Hot Topic Symposia
Tuesday, May 18. 9:00 am-12:00 pm
|Hot Topic Symposia expand the breadth, scope, and timeliness of the technical program at the 101st AOCS Annual Meeting & Expo.
The audio recordings synchronized with the PowerPoint presentations for each Hot Topic are available for order on CD as a full set.
Hot Topic CDs are also available individually.
Biotechnology: What Edible Oil Technologists Need to Know Order this Hot Topic on CD
- Biotechnology is quickly becoming one of the top issues for edible oil technologists. Experts will share tips to negotiate regulatory and legal processes and how to successfully navigate the complex biotech landscape to minimize product development and business risk.
- Results from the 14th Annual Consumer Perspectives on Biotechnology study will be discussed and many may be surprised about how consumers really feel about biotech.
- Learn how nutrition and functionality challenges with partially hydrogenated oils can be solved with biotech soybean oils, which is critical. U.S. Food Manufacturers depend on soybeans as soybean oil accounts for 71.3% of edible fat and oil consumption.
Challenges and Opportunities in Lipids and Oil/Fats Education and Curriculum Development Order this Hot Topic on CD
- Preparing students for careers in industry, government, and academia through the development of lipids/oils/fats learning strategies is becoming increasingly important.
- Learn about challenges/opportunities in developing educational approaches from the point of view of faculty, students, and industry with a comparative review of practices in different countries.
- Roundtable discussion will further explore key issues and provide guidance for the Professional Educators' Common Interest Group to promote education and prepare future professionals.
Food Safety Management Systems Order this Hot Topic on CD
- Consumer confidence is waning with respect to food safety in the wake of recent food recalls. Because of this, more companies are looking to differentiate their products through food-safety and quality-management systems audits throughout their supply chain.
- Topics will include GFSI, ISO 22000, third-party audits, and training for staff/auditors.
- Discussion will involve speakers and selected representatives who have implemented management systems.
High-Protein Diets and Weight Management Order this Hot Topic on CD
- Obesity has become a worldwide epidemic and it continues to increase at a rapid rate.
- Numerous human studies show that protein is more satiating than fat or carbohydrate and promotes weight loss.
- State-of-the-art research will show protein's key role in weight management, the satiety in high-protein diets, mechanism(s) of weight management with high-protein diets, and sports nutrition/lean mass preservation.
Value-Added Fats and Oils: What's on the Horizon? Order this Hot Topic on CD
- This year, the 2010 US Dietary Guidelines for Americans will be issued by the federal government. Included will be updated recommendations based on a review of the science by the Subcommittee on Fatty Acids. This will shape how Americans eat and the products they demand over the next decade and will impact not only which fats should be limited in the diet, but also which ones are essential to include.
- As healthy oils have become more mainstream, more attention has been given to their value in foods, their role in improving nutrition, and how they are affecting labels.
- Learn about up-to-date science on the role of fatty acids in health, new clinical data specific to healthy oils, and state-of-the-art trends for formulating healthier functional products for a wide array of applications.