Solvent Extractors Association, India (SEA)
142, Jolly Maker Chamber No. 2
14th Floor, 225, Nariman Point
Phone: +91-22-2021475 or +91-22-2822979
General E-mail: email@example.com
Web Address: www.seaofindia.com
Executive Officer: Mr. B.V. Mehta, Executive Director
Organization's Purpose or Mission:
To promote production of vegetable oils by solvent extraction process and its consumption. To promote exports of oil meals, as feed ingredients for compound feed and natural fertilizer; compound feeds for cattle and poultry, oils and fats of tree and forest origin.
Services or Products Description:
Interact with governments to mitigate the difficulties faced by the members Indian vegetable oil industry. Collect and disseminate information to members on national and international vegetable oil industry and market. Lead trade delegations abroad to promote oil meals exports.
Corporate History and Milestones:
The Solvent Extractors’ Association of India was formed in 1963 to help and foster the development and growth of Solvent Extraction Industry in India. At present the Association is having about 900 members including about 550 solvent extraction plants having combined oilcake/oilseed processing annual capacity of about 30.0 million tonnes.
The Association is an all India body of solvent extractions industry and premier vegetable oil Association in the country having wide representative membership consisting of processors of rice bran, oilcakes, minor oilseeds and soybean. Associate Membership of the Association includes apart from processors, oilseed crushers, refiners, vanaspati manufacturers, merchant exporters, importers of edible oils, brokers, traders, plant & machinery manufacturers, clearing & forwarding agents, surveyors, regional associations etc. With such wide cross section of membership, SEA is a broad based, all India apex body of solvent extraction industry and premier Association of Vegetable Oil Industry.
The Association is recognised as a Non Government Organisation (NGO) by Government of India and has representation on various bodies/committees set up by Government of India, including:
• Working Group on Vegetable Oil Sector set up by Ministry of Food & Consumer Affairs.
• Sub Group on Food Taxation, Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
• National Oilseeds & Vegetable Oils Development Board, Ministry of Agriculture,Government of India.
• Development Panel for Minor Oils of Tree & Forest Origin set up by DGTD, Government of India.
• Technology Mission on Oilseeds, Mini Mission II(PHT), Government of India.
• Co-ordination Committee on Production of Rice Bran Oil set up by Ministry of Civil Supplies, Government of India.
• Inter Ministerial Committee(IMC)on National Approach to Promote Non-traditional Oilseeds set up by Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India.
• ICAR-UNDP Project for Development of ‘00’ variety of Rapeseed, National Research Centre on Rapeseed-Mustard, Bharatpur, Rajasthan.
• Development Council for Soaps, Detergents, Cosmetics & Toiletries Industries set up by Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Industry, Government of India.
• Core Committee for screening and appraisal of new R&D Programme under Mini Mission II relating to Post Harvest and Processing Technologies of Oilseeds and Pulses by TMO&P, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India.
• Various Sectional Committees set up by Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
• Co-ordination Committee on Soyabean Processing set up by Ministry of Civil Supplies, Government of India.
• Sub-working Group on Oilseeds, Pulses and Maize for Formulation of Ninth Five Year Plan by Ministry of Agriculture.
Association is also consider as the Trade Promotion Body by Ministry of Commerce, Government of India for exports of various Deoiled Meals (Extractions), animal/poultry feeds and minor oils (fats) of tree and forest origin and acted as canalising /monitoring body from 1971 to 1995. The Association discharges various function akin to Export Promotion Council for promoting the export from India.
The Association has signed a MoU with The Bombay Commodity Exchange Ltd., and has set up a Multi Commodity Exchange for Futures trading in oilseeds & its derivatives.
The affairs of the Association is being managed by the Managing Committee, headed by the President. The Association continuously gives feedback to the members about development taking place in the country and world over by various circulars, news circulars, E-Mail & through periodical zonal meetings. SEA has exclusively Website to provide up-to-date information on trade & industry and statistical data backed by its exhaustive data bank. It is financially autonomous and functions entirely as private sector body.