Message from the Chair
Greetings. The 104th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo is just around the corner. Congratulations to the newly elected Executive Steering Committee of the Biotechnology Division for 2013-2014! As usual, the Division has organized symposia on topics that are timely and highly relevant to our members. Once again, we will feature short oral presentations on selected posters. In addition, this year, we will have a joint dinner with the Protein and Co-products Division on the evening of April 30th (Tuesday). I invite you to join us at the Annual Meeting in Montréal, Québec, Canada for a professionally rewarding experience!
2013-14 Executive Steering Committee Election
Congratulations to the elected division Executive Steering Committee members:
Chairperson: Suk Hoo Yoon, KFRI, South Korea
Vice Chairperson: Douglas Hayes, University of Tennessee, USA
Secretary-Treasurer: Richard Ashby, USDA, USA
These officers will be installed during the Division Meetings at the 104th AOCS Annual Meeting & Expo in Montréal, Québec, Canada.
- The World Congress of Oleo Sciences (WCOS2012) was held from September 30 to October 4, 2012 at Sasebo, Japan. Over 800 scientists from all over the world attended the meeting including AOCS President Myers, CEO Donnelly and Director Jeff Newman and many AOCS members. Ching T. Hou of our Biotechnology Division was invited as one of the keynote speakers.
- The 2012 International Society of Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology annual meeting (8th ISBAB) was held from October 28 to 31, 2012 at Sonoma, California. The meeting was organized by two of our Biotechnology Division members: Thomas McKeon and Randall Weselake. It was a very successful meeting with over 120 attendees, including many AOCS members, from all over the world. The 9th ISBAB annual meeting will be held at Piestany, Slovak Republic from October 13 to 16, 2013. You are welcome to attend.
- The AOCS Asian Section annual meeting had been jointly held with ISBAB annual meeting in the previous four years. In 2012, because the ISBAB annual meeting was held in Sonoma, California (outside Asia), the AOCS Asian Section annual meeting was held separately at I-Shiu University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan during December 21-22, 2012. Dr. Suk Hoo Yoon of Korea and Ching T. Hou of USA were among the eight invited speakers. The 2013 AOCS Asian Section meeting will be held at Cheon An Art Center, Cheon An (Cheonan) City, Korea from August 28 to 30, 2013.
104th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo
- Biotechnology Division Events
Roundtable, Tuesday April 30, 12:30-1:30 pm
Reception and Dinner, Tuesday April 30, 6:30-10:00 pm (held jointly with the Protein and Co-Products Division)
Other Sessions of Interest
The Forum on Emerging Technologies – What’s on the Horizon?
Currently there are four sessions in this forum on Monday, April 29:
8:30 am–11:00 am
Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Heart Health: Up for Debate and a Lesson in Meta Analysis
Organizer: Eileen Bailey Hall, DSM, USA
Microalgae Technologies and Products
Organizers: Tong Wang, Iowa State University, USA; and Lieve Laurens, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, USA
Ensuring Global Food Security
Organizers: Jane Whittinghill and Phil Kerr, Dupont Nutrition & Health, USA
9:30 am–11:00 am
The New Patent Frontier under the America Invents Act Has Arrived: File Early, File Often, or Just Stay Home?
Organizer: Paul S. Tully, Owner/Partner - Patent Attorney, McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP, USA
- The Professional Educators’ Common Interest Group: Effective Use of Statistics in Lipid Teaching and Research; Monday, April 29, 8:30 – 11:00 am
- Bruce McDonald Memorial Session: Advances in Canola Research; Tuesday, April 30, 8:00 – 11:00 am
I welcome any ideas and suggestions for making the newsletter more relevant to you, the Division members. I will also be happy to receive e-mails from you for any stories, news, photos, achievements, awards, etc. that you’d like to share with other members. My e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Officers for Biotechnology Division
Chairperson: Randall Weselake, University of Alberta, Canada
Vice Chairperson: Suk Hoo Yoon, Korea Food Research Institute, South Korea
Secretary/Treasurer: Douglas Hayes, University of Tennessee, USA
Newsletter Editor: Lu-Kwang Ju, The University of Akron, USA
Division awards, Liaison to Japan Oil Chemists’ Society (JOCS), Liaison with AOCS Asian Section, Liason to International Society of Biocatalyis and Agricultural Biotechnology (ISBAB): Ching T. Hou, US Department of Agriculture, USA
General Division Membership Development: Tom McKeon, US Department of Agriculture, USA