Phospholipid Division Newsletter
The Call for Papers for our 104th AOCS Annual Meeting & Expo (April 28 - May 1, 2013, Palais des congress de Montreal, Quebec, Canada) is now open. Please submit your new research or product development works if you want others to learn about your achievements!
For the annual meeting, on Monday morning we will have the exciting Forum on Emerging Technologies – What’s on the Horizon that will include 1) Advanced Biobased Products; 2) Algal Technology; 3) Edible Ester Technologies; 4) Food Security; 5) Nutrition; and 6) Other late-breaking information on a topic of interest to our industry. The call for proposal for Forum presentation is also now open, and please consider submit one if your expertise fits in one of the areas.
Our division’s planned technical sessions are:
PHO 1: Polar Lipids - Chemistry, Technology, and Applications (Mon PM)
(joint with Biotechnology Division)
PHO 2: Krill Lipids Analysis, Algal Oil (Tue AM)
PHO 3: Phospholipids for Industrial and Feed Applications (Tue PM)
PHO 4: Alternative Sources for Polar Lipids from Marine, Dairy, and Canola (Wed AM)
PHO 5: General Phospholipids (Wed PM)
Please submit an abstract of your work or invite others to submit!
Thank you for your contribution to our division!
Please nominate for Best Paper Award! Our Division’s Best Paper Award recognizes an outstanding published paper or monograph in the area of phospholipid research or applications for phospholipids. The publication needs to be in 2012, from any journal or monograph (does not need to be from an AOCS Press Publication). This award is sponsored by the International Lecithin & Phospholipid Society (ILPS), which includes a plaque for the main author, certificates for each author, funding to attend the AOCS Annual Meeting, and award address at the Division joint dinner.
Nomination deadline is January 15.
Submitted by Willem van Nieuwenhuyzen
- The Board of ILPS International Lecithin and Phospholipid Society had their annual meeting on April 29, 2012 in Long Beach at the occasion of the 103th AOCS AM & Expo.
- The European Analytical Subgroup organized a meeting on March 1, 2012 in Cologne, Germany. A next meeting is scheduled for March 2013 in Hamburg, Germany
- ILPS sponsored the 12th International Conference “Modern trends in production and application of phospholipids” on October 23, 2012 in St Petersburg, Russia, co-organized by the Russian Union of Food Ingredient producers and Manufacture and Protein Plus Ltd, St Petersburg. Protein Plus is an ILPS corporate member and a leading lecithin distributor in Russia. ILPS Executive Director Willem van Nieuwenhuyzen will present a key-note paper.
- In cooperation with AOCS Phospholipid Division ILPS investigates the feasibility of scheduling 2-days Lecithin Short Course in Montreal, Canada prior to the 104th AOCS AM & Expo. A consequence may be that the 2013 ILPS European Lecithin SC in cooperation with Ghent University in Belgium will be postponed. More information will be forthcoming and will be available on the phospholipid division web page.
- ILPS organized a small Round Robin for Toluene Insoluble Matter (TIM) with 4 Sunflower lecithin samples and 8 laboratories in Europe. Sunflower lecithin is a source of non-GMO food grade lecithin meeting growing customer interest in Europe. The used analytical method is the recently validated ISO 28198:2009 International Standard with use of the P 40 glass filter crucible. The TIM method indicated the presence of impurities such as protein, carbohydrate-containing extraction residues and other solid contaminants. Preliminary results show that Sunflower lecithin qualities are available on the market, complying with E322 TIM specifications. Outside Europe the Hexane Insoluble Method (HIM; official approved AOCS method) is mostly used for testing soy lecithin.
- Whereas Soy lecithin was and is the leading functional emulsifier in food production and other market segments, novel Marine Phospholipids with high Omega-3 fatty acid content (DHA, EPA) are currently an innovative segment in the health supplement and health food markets worldwide with new products launched by settled and new companies. Exhibitions such as IFT Expo, USA, VITA Foods, Geneva, Switzerland and HIE & FIE, Europe are good platforms for information and discussion.